Join the conversation and feel free to submit a question to our experts.Submit a question
Stay up to date and have the STA Weekly Report and 401k Plan Manager emailed to you.Subscribe
Read STA's Featured ArticlesRead More
Michael Smith is President and Partner of STA Wealth Management and has over 15 years of investment experience. His experience includes portfolio management, securities markets, debt securities, equities, options, and alternative investments. Michael holds a B.A. in Business Management from Sam Houston State University.
Michael is responsible for portfolio management, financial analysis, research, and business development. He works to implement broad, multi-asset class investment opportunities for the firm’s clients. This process is carried out through a series of meetings and discussions where Michael and the STA Wealth Management team gain a thorough understanding of a client’s personal financial situation. The wealth management program incorporates strategies that address all facets of personal finance, beginning with a comprehensive portfolio review, and provides detailed recommendations. The wealth management program also encompasses cash flow, tax and estate planning, employee benefits, alternative investment strategies, insurance, and education planning.
Michael also serves as President of the STA Insurance Agency. He is a co-host of our weekday radio program, the STA Money Hour. Prior to co-founding STA Wealth Management in 2002, Mike was a vice president at Wunderlich Securities.
Michael has a passion for small business and currently:
• Serves as the Co-Chairman for NFIB (National Federation of Independent Business) Houston
• On the Leadership Counsel for NFIB Texas.
• Involved in the NFIB Young Entrepreneur Foundation in which he interviews students with small businesses for scholarship programs.
• Studying Austrian Economics through the Ludwig von Mises Academy.
• Awarded the 2015 NFIB Ken Legler Small Business Champion Award, which has historically been awarded to a small business owner who has gone above and beyond.
Mike has two children, a daughter, Sandra, and son, Junior. Mike enjoys martial arts such as jujitsu, MMA, and JKD. Mike is actively involved in a charity for rescuing dogs. He is also involved in helping orphans from Colombia find families and mentors.